Thursday, May 6, 2010

Stitch Jam

This week I'm reviewing something for the kids, Disney's Stitch Jam for the Nintendo DS.  So how does a space alien experimental critter play music?  Carefully.

Story

The storyline is Stitch is going to take his girlfriend, Angel, on a date.  Trouble starts though when Dr. Hamsterviel kidnaps her.  Seems Angel's singing voice has the power to turn good people into evil people.

So Stitch quests across the globe and galaxy to save her and stop Dr. Hamsterivel's plot to control the universe.

Controls

There are two control methods and both are very simple.  One is using the stylus to tap or slide in the proper direction on the notes as Stitch passes them.  The other is using the buttons and D-pad.  Press the proper button or direction on the D-pad when Stitch passes the notes.  Easy to learn, hard to master.


Gameplay

The gameplay is all about timing and rhythm.  The music that plays in the game is almost like a "call and response."  As Stitch moves across the screen the music will play.  When he gets close to a note you do the proper move (tap, slide, etc.) and a complementary piece will play.  The more correct notes you play the bigger your combo will be and better score.  Do the wrong move, hit it too early or late and "error" sound plays and Stitch takes a hit.  Too many hits and the game is over.  Again pretty simple, but hard to master.  As you play though the game you can unlock costumes for Stitch and costume parts for your avatar at D Gamer, Disney's online social community for Disney Gamers.


Graphics and Sound

The graphics are very colorful and cartoon which they should be for this game.  The music is catchy and fun.  Pretty much what you would expect from Disney.


Overall

You may have picked up some of my hints, the game is easy to learn, but hard to master.  I'd like to think I have some rhythm, I sang in high school choir and I'm decent at Guitar Hero/Rock Band.  This game though put me in my place.  I tried playing through at first with the stylus.  It really didn't work for me.  Holding the stylus over the screen in anticipation of whatever the move may be kind of blocked my view of the action.  I did much better with the button controls.  Then it became much easier for me, but even then my timing wasn't always right.

Really though I could have mastered the buttons or the stylus it would not have mattered.  The biggest drawback of the game was repetition.  The gameplay was very repetitive.  Each level you did the same thing, did the right move as Stitch got to it.  I was bored by level 3 and the levels are short.  Granted now I'm not the target age group, but given the attention level most kids have and I don't see them interested long either.

I asked a friend to play through the game also.  She felt the same about it overall and was concerned that Dr. Hamsterivel is using words that might be over the heads of most children, when the rest of the cast spoke in fairly simple terms.  To me that just makes Dr. Hamsterivel more "evil."

There is a co-op mode where 2 people can play through the missions together.  There is also access to Disney's D Gamer via WiFi.  This is basically a social chat room of sorts for Disney fans to communicate back and forth.  As I mentioned before you can unlock things such as shirts, hats, etc for your D Gamer avatar. 

Overall this game is really for Disney or Lilo and Stitch fans, maybe even kids that really like music games.  It's cute and fun at first, but fades quickly.  I give it a 3 out of 5.

Disney's Stitch Jam is Rated E for Everyone with Comic Mischief cited as the only content concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment