Wednesday, November 11, 2009

FIFA Soccer 10



This week with the Seattle Sounders making a good run into the MLS Cup, I thought we'd take a look at FIFA Soccer 10.  Granted I don't know soccer well, but then again I don't know many sports well.  The basics, put the ball in the goal, I know.  So let's hit the pitch.

Story:

No story, but you can create a pro.  In create a pro you simply create a player and try to take him up through the ranks to become a world wide superstar.  You do this by winning, unlocking accomplishments and achieving goals set for you in each match by your team manager.  Creating your pro can be pretty in depth.  Hair style, eyes, nose, ears, chin, height, and weight are some of the things you can adjust.

Almost every country that has a Football/Soccer league is represented and you have your choice which you wish to play in and which team you want to play on.  I, of course, chose Seattle Sounders.

Gameplay:

The game play of FIFA 10 depends on what mode you are playing.  If you are playing Pro Season then the game centers on the pro you created and is played in a unique view to the position that pro plays.  If you play in a regular game then the view is that of the game from the side.  Regardless the controls are the same.  If you are unfamiliar with soccer, EA has included tutorials for each aspect of offense and defense.  They came in very handy for me to learn some of the game.  I ended up playing the Pro Season a lot because I liked the view better.

Controls:

While the controls are fairly simple, the tutorials are there for a reason, there is a lot more to soccer than just kicking the ball around.  I would highly advise watching each tutorial and then practicing the moves a bit before jumping into the game proper.  Even the beginner levels can be a bit of challenge if you don't know what you are doing.

Gameplay:

After the title screen the game drops you right into it.  You start out on a 1 on 1 practice field, just you and the goalie.  Pressing start takes you to the main menu.  Once in an actual game, the gameplay itself was pretty fluid.  The game was pretty good about telling me when I was starting to get offsides, and in general were I should be or should be going in relation to the action and my players position.  This was done by arrows at the players feet or a flag above the players head.  As the game went along I started getting a feel for things.  I still have some problems dribbling the ball, but passing I'm getting pretty good at.  Scoring in games I still have yet to do, but one on one I up to about 50% of the time.  While some asspects are still a bit fuzzy to me, I'm slowly getting it.

The tutorials while helpful are just videos.  I would have like something more like "this is how you do it" and then the game has you try to do it.  As it stands now I have to watch the tutorial, remember how something was done as I back out through the menus to the practice field to try it.



Graphics and Sound:

Graphically it looks pretty good.  I'd say right up there with Madden.  Players look pretty realistic and move pretty realistically too.  Sound was very good too. Sounds of the ball being kicked, other players on the field and the crowds cheering are all there.  The commentary even sounded fairly timely during play.

Overall:

Like I said earlier some aspects of the game are still fuzzy to me, but I was having fun.  I actually want to finish the season I started and really work on scoring goals.  For my first football/soccer game I'm going to have to give it a 3.5 out 5.  I'm intrigued enough to want to keep playing, but the learning the game is not easy.  Demos are available if you want to save some money to see if you like it, or rent it if you want try some of the deeper aspects or have played an older version of FIFA.  True football/soccer fans I think might really like this though.

FIFA Soccer 10 is rated E for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment